RE: [MV] M series tank engine info

From: Geoff Winnington-Ball (gwball@sympatico.ca)
Date: Thu Nov 15 2001 - 06:26:20 PST

Greg, what it looks like you have found is the engine out of
the M-3 series of Stuart light tanks, of which there were quite
a few down your way from early on in the war.

IIRC, the same engine was also used in the LVT series of vehicles,
so it might have come out of one of those.

Best not to start poking its innards without a manual!

Geoff

Regards,

Geoff Winnington-Ball
MAPLE LEAF UP! ==>
Zephyr, Ontario, Canada
<sunray@mapleleafup.org>
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Maple Leaf Up - The Canadian Army Overseas in WW2
http://www.mapleleafup.org
>Date: 11/15/01 8:55:31 AM
>

>Guys,
>Last weekend I purchased a radial tank engine for several cases
of beer.
>(Couldn't see it go to the tip!)
>It was reportedly a British Alvis motor from a General Stewart.
>But on investigation it was found to have UNF threads, not BSF.
>
>The big carb finally yielded tonight and was withdrawn from
the mire of
>dried mud/grease/oil/dirt/dust/twigs/variousdeadanimals etc
etc.

>It is a Stromberg and on the label it is listed for a W-670-9.
>A trip on the net shows this to be a Continental engine. 7 cylinder,
250Hp
>and 668 cu. in (11Lt).
>
>It is complete with clutch, carb, all heads, fan, shrouds and
is fairly
>easy to dissassemble due to it's embalming grease/mud pack.
Fins are all
>complete, no bad damage anywhere, apart from a pair of broken
rocker
>covers. (top)
>
>Missing:- the rearward casting with starter, magnetos, generator?,
oil
>pump?
>
>I am after info, manuals, pics, parts etc, etc.
>Can anyone help?
>
>I am particularly "scared" of removing the BIG clutch. I reckon
if I get
>the sequence wrong I will be chasing parts that might spring
around the
>workshop for hours, to say nothing of stripped threads...and
blood....
>Any clues?
>
>I am also very interested to find out which tank it might be
from. Info on
>the net suggest that it might be a General Lee or Grant, as
sone 757 of
>these were shipped new to Australia (where I am) by December
1942 to assist
>us in our fight with the Japs.
>
>Some of these tanks were still in service till 1957 when they
were finally
>retired, not bad for a tank that was listed "obsolete" in 1945!
>
>Many were used after the war for land clearing and earthmoving.
I have