Re: [MV] Daimler Ferret MK 2 and 3 For Sale

From: Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sun Nov 18 2001 - 10:00:43 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ryan Gill" <rmgill@mindspring.com>
Sent: Sunday, November 18, 2001 5:10 PM
Subject: Re: [MV] Daimler Ferret MK 2 and 3 For Sale

> At 10:09 AM +1030 11/18/01, Douglas Greville wrote:
> >
> >I think you nearly had it there Luc. The average Pom didn't want to be
> >part of the EU. It was their politicians bright idea.

I have to correct my good antipodean friend Doug on one thing, we invented
Pom for the Aussies and they have hi-jacked it and removed one important
letter, POHM is the correct, official and very old term standing for
Prisoner Of His Majesty. . . . . . . . . .

The key being the referendum about currency unification which we have to
vote on and this is the question previous and current admins are shying away
from whilst, no doubt, trying to find a way of fudging the obvious outcome
or indeed finding a constitutional loop hole that may circumvent a national
vote.

> >Now they worry about EU laws that affect the private ownership of
> >ex-military vehicles. You would have to admit the English laws on that
> >subject are pretty good. The only real restriction that I am aware of
> >is the requirement to have a "H" class licence for tracked vehicles.
> >The English laws on de-activated weapons would cause our politicians
> >to have pink fits.
>
> Well you could always petition to join the Union. We've got much
> better laws on such things over here.

Currently the UK laws on private MV ownership are far less restrictive than
the US, we don't cut and crush and we can have ex-US Mil Humvees on the road
with no problem, there are no weight, titling or insurance problems
nationwide on MVs, within the usual width and weight limits there are
privately owned, road legal tracked APCs and tanks up to Sherman size.

I don't want to get into the weapons thing if that is what you're referring
to, however, de-acts with a proof house cert (and they do a good job on
them) are no trouble.

However, picking up on Ryan's suggestion and being intentionally
contentious, it is arguable that for many reasons, not the least of which
are previous and continuing high trade levels, "common" language and
historical connections, we'd be better off as another US State than Euro
State, the proximity of England to continental Europe is geographic only.

Richard
Southampton - England