HELP - HMMWV won't start

From: Ned Parkes (sparkes@fast.net)
Date: Mon Nov 19 2001 - 12:17:23 PST

Hi List,

Well, just thought I would do a little maintenance on my newly acquired
HMMWV. I drained cooling system and replaced all heater and radiator hoses,
removed air filter cannister and plastic piece connecting it to intake,
cleaned everything and replaced. I also connected up a power cord to the
battery to power my newly installed radio set (VRC-12 series). None of
these things should have anything to do with the problem I am about to
describe.

I filled the cooling system with water to flush it out, and attempted to
start the engine. It cranks and cranks and cranks but doesn't even attempt
to start, nothing. Just puffed smoke out of the exhaust. The WAIT light
goes on and then off but just cranks when I turn it to START.

I then pulled a glow plug wire and turned the switch to RUN again. I
thought while the WAIT light is on I should get a voltage reading between
the glow plug wire and ground. But, I got nothing, 0 volts.

Does anyone have any ideas, cause it started beautifully until I started to
do my "preventative maintenance"? I should have left well enough

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Ned Parkes