WC 56 "Navy" Command Car Dodge 3/4 ton 8 Dec 1942 info needed.

From: Winget, William A CONT JTFCS5G (winget@jfcom.mil)
Date: Tue Nov 20 2001 - 05:54:56 PST

My friend lucked into buying Dodge # 81586366 Body # 4219-11835, Engine #
P24*29714I* Dash plate of 8 Dec 1942. A three line key fob on the dash also
has USN 265 12885.
I've uncovered the USN Markings on the tailgate (no holes for racks, etc.)
and on the rear side/top quarters (both sides). Also, just above the
battery box cover seems to be a marking, but I stopped trying to uncover it
for fear of erasing it (using Acetone) by going too quickly. (anyone know of
any pattern here, as it doesn't seem to be a star pattern) I think the
number (same as the Navy) is there, but in WHITE Vs the black of the other
markings. I've found two variations of white stars on the rear deck lid at
the very bottom center (around a 8" or larger size)

I think the following scheme occurred.

-OD from factory, white stars on left/ right rear quarters about 6 inches
down from the top, and a 12" (approx) star in the center bottom of the rear
deck.

-Repainted OD over markings, a second rear star reapplied over the rear
star.

-Painted Navy gray over everything.

-Black USN numbers applied atop the navy gray.USN 129561

-Navy gray 2d coat added, then "For Official Use Only" in small letters
placed on the left and right side rear centered up, NO other markings at
that layer.

-Black spray paint over all markings to sell it off surplus with a Civilian
Kelly green applied above the rest, someone stenciled USN in spray paint
very lightly by the drivers door (erased with water and hand action....)

Bumpers have OD as a base coat, followed by Navy. No markings found yet.
A Jerry rigged flame cut piece of thick steel Spare tire bracket was cut
through the middle of the drivers running board and a bolt welded onto it to
hold a spare rearward of the drivers door (definitely NOT Stock, and very
crude...)
A plate welded on top of the spare tire depression in the running board to
level the running board (now it's rusted out underneath, oh well....)

I've have the bows loosened up, will need knobs and a top kit. Started the
engine, she doesn't smoke, the generator is generating at 16.75 volts, a
little high, but I'll let it work for now. The headlights work but need
proper dash switches.

Trying to locate some pictures of Admirals arriving at ceremonies, etc. I
figure it's the best bet to see a Navy Command Car in action. I think it
may have come from Norfolk Navy base, as we picked it up 70 miles South in
North Carolina at Nags Head where it was used as a beach buggy with DC3 bald
tires. (Navy paint helped keep the rust down thank goodness)

Will catalog all the markings, etc. and make a stencil of them. Choice to
make it Navy or go Army depends on my friend (Think he'll choose Navy) But
would really like SOME proof that this was originally one of those Navy
contracts, as the OD underneath is throwing some confusion my way,
especially when the stars were repainted at some point, and THEN a Navy gray
paint applied over the top of All stars, etc. No hood registration numbers
appeared yet in the typical locations either. (Shouldn't there be blue drab
from the factory there, or white by Dec '42 ? )

Not sure what the contract delivery entailed (The serial number seems to fit
those of the Department of the Navy contracted 62 vehicles). Painted OD on
the assembly line, THEN Navy by the Dodge or Navy paint department? Not
likely once you see the second star repaint job and some OD atop some white
of the original star.

Anyone recommend someone that has done some research into the Navy
contracts, especially the Dodge?
Any thoughts about the paint scheme?

Will need the following: 3/4 T spare tire carrier with plate, Carb assembly
(elbow, through air cleaner) Drivers side rear bumperette,
pair of Command Car running boards, horn.
We'll order all the many small bits and a top kit, but those large end items
may be sitting somewhere needing a good home from a dearly departed 3/4 t
vehicle in your back yard. Any help would be appreciated.
e-mail: winget@jfcom.mil

Regards Adrian Winget
Hampton, Virginia, USA.
The web page such that it is. I'll have to post some marking photos down
the line.
http://home.mindspring.com/~jhooah/index.html