What else? Front axle seals again

From: Amnon Nissan (amnon@deltaforce.net)
Date: Tue Nov 20 2001 - 16:41:15 PST

It has been two weeks since I changed the left front axle
seals and boot, about 400 miles ago. It stayed dry until
yesterday. I am in the habit of looking inside the wheel to
see if it is dry or wet now, so I looked and it was dry. I
drove the truck to the office, about 2 miles, and when I got
out the wheel was soaked with 80-90 oil. Couldn't see where
it was coming out of, but it was in the rim and all over the
tire, inside and out. Took off the wheel and drum, the brakes
were completely dry. The grease insite the nuckle housing was
very thin, mixed REAL good with 80-90 oil. So we took the
axle the inner seal out to see if there was any damage we
could see. Everything looked normal. But there is no way
everything is normal since axle oil got pass the inner seal.
The axle has a very slight indentation around where the seal
fits, and I mean "very slight". I put a new seal on the axle
to see if it will slide easier on that area, but couldn't tell
any difference. (yeah right, 5200 "original" miles on the
truck, just long enough for a rubber seal to ware some of the
axle metal :-)

Anyway. The only thing I can think of is that we used an
inner seal which was not sealed or wrapped in anything, and
maybe was dry.

Anybody has any words of wisdom here for me?

Shalom Ya'll
Amnon Nissan

Deltaforce
919-852-2121