New Round of Viruses

From: Geoff Winnington-Ball (gwball@sympatico.ca)
Date: Mon Nov 26 2001 - 16:11:51 PST

To all on the lists addressed, and any individuals who may receive this,

Apolgies for the off-topic stuff, but this is getting out of hand.

Since Sunday, I have received at least a dozen separate infected emails from
guys mostly on this list or the others I am BCCing here. These attachments have
been truncated by my Netscape and load as blank emails, but a View>Page Source
gives the name of the infected file. It arrives in Netscape Messenger as a 40K
email, with nothing showing in the read frame.

It appears that this particular variant goes through your sent file and picks
out addresses you've emailed to in past. Because I use Netscape I haven't
managed to capture a complete example, but this one seems to be behaving in a
slightly different fashion than those which preceeded it.

Look at the source code... all attachments inevitably end as .pif or .scr (there
was one .exe included in the pile). DO NOT OPEN ANY OF THEM. In this latest
incarnation, the virus program inserts a "_" in front of the sender's email
address, so you can't email them back directly... that should be a clue.

Guys, you really have to get with the program here! Either stop using Microsoft
Outlook or related products entirely, or update both your email program
(Microsoft offers free fixes) and your virus scanners! I've never seen a virus
spread faster, and it's becoming a real pain in the ass. I can't imagine the
bandwidth this is using up (which is what the assholes want).

Please, save the rest of us the aggravation. Think before you click! Microsoft =
Vulnerability. On one of these lists, the following was posted today, and it is
valid:

"All of these worm viruses spread because of vulnerabilities in ONLY
the Microsoft Outlook and Outlook Express programs.

Most people use Outlook because it comes free on the computer.

If you switch to another email program, you will NEVER be affected by
these viruses or any future email-based worms.

I use an email and newsgroups reader program called Forte Agent
(www.forteinc.com) and they have a free version.

Other good email programs are Eudora and Pegasus.

All of these programs are immune from email worms unless you actively
intentionally manually launch the infected attachment."

Either that or switch to Netscape mail or somesuch.

Thanks, sorry for the rant. I'd have thought we'd all have had it figured out by
now!

MANDATORY MV CONTENT: Still looking to define the 110rd ammunition reels mounted
on the left inside of the Ram tank turret, and now, I understand, also included
in the Grant. Photo from the Ram Instruction Manual here:
http://www.1cacr.org/pics/ammoreels.jpg.

--
Regards,

Geoff Winnington-Ball MAPLE LEAF UP! ==> Zephyr, Ontario, Canada ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Maple Leaf Up - The Canadian Army Overseas in WW2 http://www.mapleleafup.org <sunray@mapleleafup.org> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 1st Canadian Armoured Carrier Regiment http://www.1cacr.org <info@1cacr.org> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~