Re: [MV] New Round of Viruses

From: wwd@netheaven.com
Date: Tue Nov 27 2001 - 04:56:22 PST

GW Ball hath spoken thus:

****************QUOTE***************QUOTE***********

>Guys, you really have to get with the program here! Either stop using
>Microsoft Outlook or related products entirely, or update both your email
>program (Microsoft offers free fixes) and your virus scanners! I've never
>seen a virus spread faster, and it's becoming a real pain in the ass. I
>can't imagine the bandwidth this is using up (which is what the assholes
>want).

>Please, save the rest of us the aggravation. Think before you click!
>Microsoft =
>Vulnerability. On one of these lists, the following was posted today, and
>it is valid:

>"All of these worm viruses spread because of vulnerabilities in ONLY the
>Microsoft Outlook and Outlook Express programs.

>Most people use Outlook because it comes free on the computer.

>If you switch to another email program, you will NEVER be affected by
>these viruses or any future email-based worms.

>I use an email and newsgroups reader program called Forte Agent
>(www.forteinc.com) and they have a free version.

>Other good email programs are Eudora and Pegasus.

>All of these programs are immune from email worms unless you actively
>intentionally manually launch the infected attachment."

>Either that or switch to Netscape mail or somesuch.

>Thanks, sorry for the rant. I'd have thought we'd all have had it figured
>out by now!

>****END QUOTE*************END QUOTE*****************

Could not have said it better myself! Actually, I feel a bit deprived,
what with 17 years of online computer activity and NO downtime due to
viruses/trojans whatever. Just shows how simple it is to avoid these
problems, since I'm no computer guru.

Go to: <www.tucows.com> or <www.download.com> and get into the email
section and see all the independently supported email programs. Try some
of the more obscure ones. The email-only programs are quite small, usually
fitting on a floppy disc with lots of room to spare. But they will do as
nice a job as the huge news or browser combos. I never could see the need
for email function being combined with browser or Usenet news. There
really is no need for this.

Military preparedness means communications security. With a few simple
steps this entire List could be virus/trojan/vermin free. Could be target
New Years as task completion day??

Bill

--
wwd@netheaven.com       --Micro$oft doesn't just suck, it sucks Big Time--