Seat cover installation / Virus Prevention

From: Neil E. Amrhein (neil@compu-powr.com)
Date: Wed Nov 28 2001 - 05:03:16 PST

List,
    I was looking at my driver's seat last night (spring-ride), and it looks
as though I'll have to remove the seat from the truck to install my new seat
covers. It looks like, if I move the seat to the forward position, I may be
able to get to rear bolts that hold the seat frame to the seat base. I
didn't actually try that last night. Anyone have any experience at this?

    Since that covers (haha!) the MV content, here's a virus protection tip
for those of you running Outlook Express. After my posting yesterday, I
received 2 infected emails from list users. That makes this a valid topic in
my opinion.
    #1 - You should NEVER have the preview pane enabled. Convenient or not,
it's just not worth it.
    #2 - When you get a message from an unknown individual (or even well
known folks) with an attachment, check it out first. Instead of opening it
by double-clicking, just right click on it and go to "Properties". This will
pull up a properties window with 2 tabs at the top. Click the "Details" tab.
This will show you the entire message header. Now click the "Message Source"
button at the bottom of the window. This will display the contents of the
message in a TEXT ONLY format, WITHOUT EXECUTING attachments. Scroll down
and you will see "Content Type" header information in bold text. There will
probably be more than one of these, you are usually interested in the last
one. Attached images and executables will show up as lots of letters,
numbers and symbols. Here are a few lines from an infected message received
from a list member. This illustrates what the virus looks like using this
technique.

>TVqQAAMAAAAEAAAA//8AALgAAAAAAAAAQAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
>AAAA8AAAAA4fug4AtAnNIbgBTM0hVGhpcyBwcm9ncmFtIGNhbm5vdCBiZSBydW4gaW4gRE9TIG1
>ZGUuDQ0KJAAAAAAAAAAoxs1SbKejAWynowFsp6MBF7uvAWinowHvu60BbqejAYS4qQF2p6MBhLi
>AW6nowEOuLABZaejAWynogHyp6MBhLioAWCnowHUoaUBbaejAVJpY2hsp6MBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

The first line is telling Outlook Express that the attachment is a sound
file. Internet Explorer, and thus Outlook Express, will usually try to
automatically play this file. However, the file is really an application.
This is how it gets executed. Notice in the second line that the name really
has the ".scr" extension.

Hope this helps some of you.

    --Neil