Re: [MV] More shenanigans at IMPS??? Another long story cut short

From: Mike S (tankcity@globalnet.co.uk)
Date: Wed Nov 28 2001 - 04:58:39 PST

Fun this isn't it

What we have here is internecine warfare of a form that will be familiar to
members of the MVPA with long memories (or not so long if your name is Jim
Gilmore)

A faction of the IMPS (who are themselves a splinter group who fell out with
the MVT and went independent some twelve or more years ago) perceive that
Rex and Brent who run Beltring are making more money out out of it than they
should do and may be trying to take over the Beltring show without any
involvement from the IMPS at all. Its a money thing and it's an ego thing.
Positions have been taken, lawyers consulted, round robin letters sent to
all Club members, feathers ruffled, meetings and confrontations held,
ultimatums delivered and rescinded - the whole nine yards.

The bottom line may be:
1. Rex is a consumate showman who has, with a lot of effort, built up
Beltring to be the commercial monster it has now become. Brent owns the
land.
2. By contract, the IMPS receive a substantial sum each year for their
help and support of the show. They are now the richest military vehicle
club in the UK.
3. Some IMPS members think that Beltring is too large and impersonal and
think it should be run on smaller lines as a conventional club rally.
4. The IMPS don't appear to have the know how to run a Beltring type show
in it's current format without Rex.
5. Rex and Brent have the money, the land and the know how to run a vast
vehicle rally. They could drop the War and Peace name, call the thing the
Beltring Show and all of us would still turn up.
6. The IMPS have much less money, very much less know how and no right to
the land. They have already lost money promoting club shows at other
venues.

Bet the farm that there will be a show at Beltring next Summer, Rex will be
running it and it will be just about as big as always. Keep the slot free
in your calendar.

Don't bet the farm on an IMPS takeover or even on IMPS participation unless
they can come to terms with power politics.

This one will run a bit yet.

Mike S. RR Services. UK