[MV] Virus and Mark Blair

From: Paul A. Thomas (bluewhale@home.com)
Date: Tue Nov 27 2001 - 21:24:05 PST

Mark:

    I agree with you in spirit. But apparently this is not your list.
    Form your own list. I spent 6 years as a Sysop on CompuServe when
it was the only source for such semi-public forums. 'List Owners'
balance between sticking to the stated rules and allowing list users to
share information.
    If this list is 'dead-heading' then that is what the moderator/Wizop
chooses.
    YOUR saying 'stop that' means nothing, as it is not your list.

> I will once again have no recourse but to leave the list until
> somebody starts moderating it,

    I am quite new to the Mil-Veh list, but if your post is how you
really feel then leave. Or better, start your own list. But stop
whining about this list.

    **** 2 *** days of posts, amounting to perhaps 30% of the total
traffic about what is a reasonably interesting virus/worm which uses
this exact type of medium to propagate itself does not hit me as abuse.
( If the moderator, whom I have seem post a few times in the few months
I've been lurking here disagrees with this please say so here or in
private: it's you're list/home, not mine )

    Most List users likely don't have someone to ask about virus's.
Most List users use Microsoft Email products as they are bundled with
whatever version of Windows they have. Virus's, for the most part,
carry innocuous payloads, which might send your private documents out to
various people or open your PC to outside control.
But it will and is getting worse. Microsoft products are the target at
this time. If this IS a community, we should expect that others in this
community will help us with this issue when problems arise.

    Thus we try.

    ( For the record: I've spent more time off line this week than on
line because of the worm and mis-information about virus's. Many list
followers try like hell to keep to the topic herein. But when somebody
like your mother in law or your attorney calls complaining that you just
gave them a virus which their antivirus program can not handle.... well,
you look for help wherever you feel you can trust it. )

   paul

------- Blind-Carbon-Copy