Re: DRMO site security

From: JaxInCalifornia@aol.com
Date: Fri Nov 30 2001 - 08:14:25 PST

" I was at Patrick AFB a few weeks after the attack on the USA.
They were at threatcon 4 which is the highest level. Even with my military ID
it took me almost 2 hours to get on base.... Kenneth Engle, Loxahatchee, FL
U.S.A."

For those of you who are not familiar with DRMO sites and you want to inspect
surplus property prior to a sale or pick up purchased property: Best to call
ahead and make sure you can get on base. Fortunately for now, I have direct
unrestricted access to view surplus at several sites, but this could change.
Under current rules people must wait for the auction inspection day and
because of threat levels, you may not get in even then, military ID might
get you in, but the delay could be considerable. It would be a shame to
drive a 100 miles to be stopped at the gate and turned around or be held up
so long you run out of time to inspect. Best call ahead and see whats up!

Once there, what you are likely to find: Concrete barriers and slow single
file traffic at the gate. Once inside you will probably be guided through
walls of concrete to the check point and detained by armed personnel. All
vehicles (even regular delivery vehicles) are currently searched top to
bottom. This is typical of threatcon 4. And this is for just a
surplus/supply depot... a lot of military bases get worse! lol

Oh and about the 5 ton that just sold at Sierra/Hurlong. I didn't inspect
it, so have no idea what the engine was, but it was a standard cargo truck,
nothing fancy, not even drop sides. It was nice looking from the pics...
didn't appear beat up. The final price was probably about $4500, then if you
had shipping...well, just didn't seem like a steal to me, but I guess they
can fetch a good price.

Still looking!

Jack Lee
Sunny California