Re: [MV] S. 1428 response from Senator Susan Collins (R-ME)

From: islander (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Sat Dec 01 2001 - 14:53:37 PST

Hi Rikk,

>I disagree, it was a darn good idea to present this to the list, your reply
>to my comments is what a list is for.
>Now, if Susan hears what I said she might just get with Istook and both of
>them get something done.

Thanks and totally agree that the two need to work together, along with
many others, to get things done right. Fortunately we have something
working in our favor here...

This particular bill is CRITICAL to pass before the end of the year. If
it isn't, everybody in both House and Senate are going to catch an earful
from Bush and their constituents. Kinda like what is happening now with
the Economic Stimulus Package. History has shown that highly
controversial riders like 1062 very often get tossed out when it comes
down to the wire. Not always, of course, but often enough the path of
least resistance is followed.

>You are entirely correct with what you have said, your just not near as
>paranoid as me.

Hehe... way I figure it is that if I worried equally as much about
everything I would probably just take my Second Amendment Rights and end
my ability to worry at the source :-) Not wanting to waste good ammo, I
instead save up all my ire for the times when I am more clearly in danger
of getting screwed. Fortunately, I find that these times are few and far
inbetween.

>I hope that your view of the world is the correct one.

Ditto. Or at the very least, that the courts support my world view if
the politicians don't! Thankfully our system of Government did not
assume our representatives would always do things in our best interests.
Nothing is a sure bet there either, but having options is always better
than having none. We have several options left open to us if this thing
does go through AND turns out to be twisted against us. But best to see
that we don't need to exercise them in the first place.

Steve