1942 Autocar Tractor 3-5 ton Need info

From: Winget, William A CONT JTFCS5G (winget@jfcom.mil)
Date: Tue Dec 04 2001 - 06:26:35 PST

Ok, it just fell my way when I bought Model T parts for the WWI Armored Car
project.
I'm now buying a '42 AUTOCAR 4x4 semi-tractor tractor. This is the one with
only a single rear axle and dual wheels.
It's a soft cab, but has had a homemade cab mounted on it years ago (Will
NEED a pattern for the bows and top!!!)
Anyone have a copy of the manual for this beast?
Apparently she's converted to propane and was too slow and old for the
owners company workers Union to allow them to keep using it, so she was
retired and finally sold off and stored in a barn. No rust through, minor
dents.
Now she'll be coming to Va. to haul the German Halftrack, US Halftrack, a
couple of Jeeps on display at the transportation museum at Fort Eustis, or a
lowboy with a cannon, banners and the VFW members on the trailer in a
parade, etc. (I can think of all sorts of neat things to do with it, but
never thought I'd end up with one.)

Need a couple of hints and ideas. Where would one look to find an old
trailer that could be donated to the cause for things like local hauls, VFW
parades, etc. (I figure I'll have to shell out for the tires tubes paint,
wheel bearings, etc.) But what ideas do you guys have on obtaining one?

A manual (any copy of one is better than none) (yes, I'll check portrayal,
but this is a rather odd ball truck to find in their coffers)

photo's from your personal collection (I have one of the bridging platoon in
Europe from the book)

Any stories or knowledge about the type vehicle I'm picking up (warnings,
incompatibility with modern trailers, etc.)

Now to save $ for a back haul in the Spring or Summer after Kansas melts
off.

Thanks for any assistance.
I need to start a museum, as the yards too full and the neighbors are
beginning to notice.....
W. Winget, Hampton, Va. e-mail me off line, or share it with the digest
if you want. winget@jfcom.mil
The web page: http://home.mindspring.com/~jhooah/index.html