Recycling broken Blackout lite globes!

From: tonygull (tonygull@ozemail.com.au)
Date: Wed Dec 05 2001 - 11:41:12 PST

I saw today what i consider to be an excellent idea.

That is, how to re-use BO globes with burnt out filaments.

Is applicable to WWII Jeeps, Dodge, GMC etc, probabaly others as well.

The BO rear stop, marker and service stop globes are irregular shaped bulbs
with integral filaments. What can be done is to DRILL out the failed globe
filament from the rear using a small carbide hole-saw. The metal is soft
solder
Then simply insert a el-cheapo globe into the hole, with suitable retaining
plate, if required.

In my case this solves completely the problem of running 6V BO globes in
my 12V converted GMC, also it allows one to run all modern light functions
via the original appearing BO light casings..that is indicator,night light
and stop.
(on truck rear)

This has been done on Mals GPA..he told me he copied the idea off someone
else.
( he told me he has bought a DUKW as well)

I think it is brilliant, and am sure many other people must have done this.

I doubt the original integrated globes are cheap, also failed ones are
possibly abundant ( I have a couple)plus u theoretically never need to
replace
them again, unless u smash the glass lense unit.

It is impossibe to tell from original unless completely dismantled.

                                                Tony

PS...the CCKW resto is coming along...