Re: [MV] Recycling broken Blackout lite globes!

From: Buzz (buzz@softcom.net)
Date: Wed Dec 05 2001 - 12:18:12 PST

I've repaired and converted many of these lamps.
Here's how I do it.
Using a Dremel tool e/w a cutoff wheel I slit the crimp over the lens in several places about 1/2"
apart, closer though on tight turns, then using a ground down blade from a putty knife, I carefully
pry up the crimped edge until I can grab it with pliers. I don't usually have to open up the crimp
all the way around, usually two sides will do it then the lens can be removed. Now it's just a
matter of unsoldering the bulb then replacing it with a new one and resoldering it in. Before
recrimping the edges I put a bead of silicone sealer on them. Be sure to test the bulb BEFORE you
close up the housing.
Regards,
Buzz