Re: [MV] Possible source of Bren gun carriers

From: Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Date: Wed Dec 05 2001 - 15:43:53 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ryan M Gill" <rmgill@mindspring.com>
Sent: Wednesday, December 05, 2001 11:05 AM
Subject: Re: [MV] Possible source of Bren gun carriers

> At 9:53 PM -0800 12/4/01, Bruce Beattie wrote:
> >Hi List,
> > I ran into someone today that said he saw a whole bunch of bren gun
> >carriers
> >"moth balled" at a National Guard base "camp parks" or "fort parks"
> >located near the
> >intersection of US580 and US680 in California.
>
> Ack! I would very much like a Bren Carrier. The 3 I found in Ontario
> for $7000 are waiting on a January negotiation period due to the
> owner's traveling. A full on working one would be very nice.
> Especially if the tracks were new....
>
> Are these T16s? or British made Mk 1's or 2s?

For the unwary there are two distinct types of "Bren Carrier".

The ones with three road wheels, really one and a half bogies, are usually
called Bren Carriers and made here in Mk.1, 2 and 3 versions with many variants.
Early ones had the 65 BHP British Ford side-valve V8 and the later ones the
larger 95HP type. They were made by Aveling-Barford, Ford, Sentinel,
Thornycroft and Wolseley.

Ford Canada made the Mk.1* and Mk.2* also in 3 sub variants.

The other versions are invariably known as the Windsor (Ford Canada) and T16
(Ford US). Both these have four road wheels in two identical bogies and a
longer body.

All except the US T16 have combination steering and a steering wheel, small
angles of wheel movement move the front bogie sideways causing track warping as
these are mounted on a sliding tube across the hull, further movement applies a
track brake.

The T16 is tiller steered and was produced broadly to a British design,
ultimately Ford US made 13,893 of them

Richard
Southampton - England.