CUCV fuel filter (?) leak

From: jim gilmore (jgilmore@ptd.net)
Date: Sat Dec 08 2001 - 06:18:03 PST

Howard wrote:

>...... I've been having a problem with the Filter itself. It seems
>that the filters have lousey quality control and either leak where they are
>seamed together if not when they are installed, or down the line. ......
>I'm smelling diesel
>again, so It's leaking again someplace. Has anyone else had this problem.
>Any filter recommnedations?

   The leakage may not be in the filter. There was a MWO on this several
years ago. Many CUCV series vehicles had leaks in the fuel system which was
traced to the pressure switch unit (PN # 15596614). This is the round black
"plug" in the filter housing visible when the filter is removed. The
plastic in these units would crack and allow air in and/or fuel out. It
will appear as though the "O" ring is leaking and replacing the ring (PN #
22591) will not correct the problem. In addition to leaks, this malfunction
may also cause the motor to run rough and create a high volume of exhaust
smoke.

     A retrofit kit was sent out to fix this problem. These kits may be
available from some of the surplus dealers. I also have a few of these
available if you cannot find them elsewhere.

Jim

   NOTE NEW ADDRESS----NOTE NEW ADDRESS---NOTE NEW ADDRESS------AS OF
JANUARY 4, 2001---------

Jim Gilmore