Re: [MV] big CA registration problems!

From: Jarrett Redd (jarrett_l_redd@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Dec 11 2001 - 16:43:15 PST

Hi folks... well, 4 months and 6 trips to 3 different DMV offices later, I
finally have my '86 M998 humvee registered in "the lovely state of California".
 All it took was taking the truck to be verified 3 times. Each time, some
brilliant person told me I needed to have a federal safety sticker on the
truck, and each time, me telling them that it was a military truck and it
doesn't have one! Then each time, them telling me that I was wrong and that
they knew all about military trucks and that it has a federal safety sticker on
there somewhere. ha ha ha

Finally, as someone suggested, I took it to a "certain place" to get it
verified and of course it was immediately and legally verified. However, the
DMV still said that was not enough and referred me to the CHP! After thinking
long and hard and asking around and testing the waters to get a preview of what
might happen there and hearing some good stories and some horror stories, I
went for it...

I was expecting a hassle and maybe alteration of my truck... they are supposed
to attach 17 digit VIN labels to the truck and engine... Instead, the officer
just looked at the truck for a few seconds and signed the form. -whew- Even
so, they still gave me hassles back at the DMV because of the 6 digit VIN.
They never said it but they sure acted like I had forged the CHP inspection
form or something. Thank God that one lady finally came by who knew what she
was doing and just hit a few buttons on the computer and I was done. Never
thought I'd be so damn grateful to be receiving a couple license plates and pay
a few hundered bucks!!!!!!

Anyway, you guys may not remember but I had asked for help 4 months ago and
many many folks came through with tons of helpful tips and advice. The
solution ended up being some weird combination of all of that, plus some crafty
tricks of my own. It was a real chess game for a while but now it is
CHECK-AND-MATE, game over. Thanks to everyone who assisted me. Greatly
appreciated and now my long nightmare is finally over...
Anyone still having reg problems, contact me. It can't get much worse than
what I had to go through... or can it?

=====
Jarrett L. Redd (KG6ELZ)