Re: [MV] M35 Tires

From: Jim Newton (jnewton@laurel.com)
Date: Wed Dec 12 2001 - 10:52:35 PST

Hi List...

>I carry all my repair stuff in my M35, so I can fix a tire
>anywhere. I have an adapter hose that uses the trucks air
>compressor. The air chuck clips onto and stays on the valve
>stem, and I slide the wheel/tire under the rear axle
>pumpkin(just fits), then start the truck and pump up the
>tire. If it lets go, I am safe. no problems yet, and I
>always make sure that the lock ring is completely seated
>before inflating.

Is there a TM that details the steps to change a lock ring rim?

If not, can someone detail the correct sequence of steps?

When I need a tire or tube replaced, I usually take my deuce to a
truck tire shop (Redwood City Tire) in the next town, and they do a
great job. They even had tubes and flaps in stock, and the guy that
does the lock ring wheels used to do this in the service so he knows
what he's doing.

3 months ago I took the spare wheel and tire assembly from my M35,
along with an NOS tire, to the local Shell station because I was in a
hurry to get my spare tire replaced, and what a JOKE! These three
guys who said they used to work on deuce-type vehicles in the
Iran-Iraq war (on the Iran side I think) spent nearly an hour trying
to pry the lock ring off with an assortment of pry bars, screw drivers
and 2x4s. When the ends of the lock ring began to get chewed up and I
saw them trying to bend the lip on the rim to get the lock ring off, I
said "thank you anyway" and took the tire and wheel assembly away! I
hope Iraq's military mechanics are equally gifted in the event the US
goes to war against them again!

These guys seemed to have a big problem pushing the sidewall of the
tire down and away from the lock ring...what's the trick to do this?

Thanks.

--

Jim "Ike" Newton

o 1984 M1007 CUCV Military Suburban 6.2 Liter Turbo-Diesel Engine 5/4 Ton Cargo Capacity, 4WD

o 1971 M35A2 Military Troop/Cargo Truck "Deuce and a Half" 478 Cubic Inch Turbo-Diesel Multi-Fuel Engine Air Shift Front Axle 2 1/2 Ton Cargo Capacity, 6WD

See them at: http://www.CUCV.net