T84 transmission info

From: Mike Pilcher (candlewickjeep2@webtv.net)
Date: Wed Dec 12 2001 - 15:35:31 PST

Esteemed list,
I am trying to get educated on this transmission. I'm not going to
assemble it, but I am trying to get the necessary parts, and brother,
that can really be confusing......and requires me to get fairly
educated.

I have a couple of questions:

What is a small parts kit? Every time I ask a dealer I'm told it's all
the assorted small snap rings etc that are needed for a rebuild. That's
great.....but when you are trying to match what I need to the schematic
in the manual it doesn't help a bit. AND it's especially hard when you
need MB or GPW parts numbers!

So, does anybody know what's in the small parts kit BY PART NUMBER.

Question 2: What parts of the transmission come as "assemblies" as
opposed to individual parts. For example, synchronizer assembly could
be construed to be almost everything from the first blocking ring to 2nd
gear. Or is the synchronizer assembly just the actual synchronizer and
a couple of snap rings?

I hope this makes sense. The dealers expect you to know what you
need.....but it's almost like comparing apples and oranges when you
don't know the total components of the assemblies that they have.

Thanks
Mike Pilcher