De-Mil Bill updates

From: Graf, John Adams (grafj@krause.com)
Date: Thu Dec 13 2001 - 06:41:04 PST

My apologies for the non-US citizens on the list for this lengthy note
concerning recent legislation....

It is indeed great news that the offensive language was stripped out in
committee from the National Defense Authorization Act for fiscal year
2002. I don't want to rain on the parade, but it isn't over until the
President's signature goes on it.

Here is what happens next: The reconciled bill now goes simultaneously
to the House and Senate for approval. If the entire bill is not
approved at either position, it goes back to committee for
"re-reconciliation". The process continues until both the House and
Senate approves the reconciled language. THEN, it goes to the President
for signature. Of course, President Bush always has the right to not
sign it, which, in that worst-case scenario, means it goes all the way
back to square one. Word from the Hill is that the goal is to have the
Bill ready for the President's signature, before Congress adjourns on 21
December 2001.

The point of this post is three-fold: Though this was a major victory
(definitely on the Antietam-scale of warfare), the war is not yet won.
There are still some obstacles to cross before victory (for 2002) can be
declared. Follow up communications to representatives, possibly with a
polite "thank you" will speed it through the approval process.
Personally, I like to keep the pressure on until the victory is clinched
with the stroke of the President's pen.

The second point of this post is to remind folks that this fight was
fought on our behalf by the MVPA in addition to many others. They
employed two lobbyists that stayed on top of the whole mess in
Washington. I don't know this for a fact, but I assume, those lobbyists
came at a price. Folks may want to make a special contribution to the
MVPA to offset any costs that they incurred. Whether one is a member of
the MVPA or not, the organization certainly made an organized effort on
the behalf of all MV-owners.

Finally, even though things look mighty good that the demil language
will not go through this year, bear in mind that it is a small section
in a very large, annual Bill. The challenge for all of us over the next
12 months is to educate, educate, educate. Every time you are at a
parade, take time to introduce yourself to your representatives (there
seems to be at least one at every local parade shaking hands!). Invite
him/her to look at your vehicle or even take a ride. Every time you can
rub elbows with a politician, keep the demil bill in mind and explain
how legislation in the past has threatened the private ownership of
these great pieces of history.

Be sure to follow up on the contacts you have made in the past few
months. Drop a note to your legislator thanking him/her for extracting
this section from the bill and remind them to keep an eye open for it
next year.

Sorry for taking up such a large chunk of the list, and thanks for
reading. Kudos goes to everyone who took the time to step up to the
plate and contact their representatives.

Those chickens are almost certain to hatch, but let's not count 'em all
just yet. Instead, let's make one last effort to insure that this
language stays out of any approved Bill that goes to the White House.

John A-G
Iola, Wisconsin USA