[MV] M548A1 amphibious?

From: RKubu@aol.com
Date: Thu Dec 13 2001 - 07:00:42 PST

List,
I have heard conflicting things regarding the M548A1's amphibious capabilities. Some have told me that it was the M548A3 that was NOT amphibious. These people insist the M548A1 WAS amphibious. Others tell me the M548A1 was not designed to be amphibious. Which is it? The vehicle does have bilge pumps, which would lead me to believe it was designed to be in water. Why else would you need pumps to remove the water? Why not simply have drain holes? I am still very new to this vehicle and any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bruce

1957 M125 w/w
1968 M172A1