Re: [MV] M548A1 amphibious?

From: Steve Malikoff (MIL-VEH account) (44gpw@phaedra.apana.org.au)
Date: Thu Dec 13 2001 - 13:54:32 PST

I have an original manual 'TM 9-2350-247-10 Operators Manual, Carrier, Cargo
Tracked, 6-ton: M548 and M548A1' dated April 1976. On the frontispiece it
clearly states:
                        DO NOT SWIM CARRIER
M548 and M548A1 carriers can ford water up to 40 inches deep. However, these
carriers do not swim. Do not try to enter water deeper thn 40 inches.

It also has the same warning in a big red box on page 1-2 (ie. one dash two).

On page 246 of Crismon's 'Tracked' it says that the US Army decided that the
M548 series cargo carriers no longer needed a swimming capability, so the
M548A1 was fielded without the track covers, rear bilge pump, and other
swim-related items. Hence the weight of the basic M548A1 was reduced to
16,290 lbs net.

Steve.
steven@phaedra.apana.org.au