Re: [MV] Wait! -- RT524 frequencies

From: b52d@piace.com
Date: Thu Dec 13 2001 - 13:55:03 PST

Please note that I am not trying to pick nit here or start any mail
wars or anything like that, but simply make a worthwhile contribution
to the topic, seems only fair considering the help I have received
from the list, so this will be my last response to the topic so as
not to sound like the aggressor, but simply a contributing lister.....

There are still "Novice",say again, "Novice" Class operators out
there and they can not transmit on anything above 50mhz. If there
are any novice class operators reading this, take heed and don't get
yourself in trouble. The word I get is that the FCC has taken a
renewed interest in these sort of violations. This is all verifiable
through the FCC and ARRL web sites. I am not citing heresay or rumor.

The safest course of action is to follow the established band plans
and not risk the rath of a government agency, or for that fact give
the MV hobbie a black eye. Image the headline reads "Local militia
group apprehended for violations of FCC regs., investigation into
other matters to follow....", we do not need that when we are
fighting to keep our stuff from being de-milled every year in
congress, it would just be one more log on the fire. We have all
heard of this sort of media mis-statements and generalizations for
the purpose of sensationalizing the news and all too often the public
believes what it hears or reads from the press.

As for the FCC in your neck of the woods, I guess it depends on the
representatives on site and their commitment to enforcement, around
here they are very aggresive, who's to say about other parts of the
country, word is they have been freshly motivated. You might even say
that there is a new sheriff in town, seems to be how the new head of
the FCC sees himself.

Below are some additional snips from the FCC page, provided by N0UBI,
a co-worker reading over my shoulder, it is a little wordy, but
informative and accurate.....

6 Meters All Amateurs except Novices:
50.0-50.1 MHz: CW Only
50.1-54.0 MHz: CW, Phone, Image, MCW, RTTY/Data
Please Note -- New Novice, Technician Plus and Advanced licenses will
not be issued after April 15, 2000, but existing Novice, Technician
Plus and Advanced class licenses are unchanged. Amateurs can continue
to renew as these licenses. Technician's who pass the 5 WPM code exam
after that date have Technician Plus privileges though their license
says Technician. They must retain the 5 WPM Certificate of Successful
Completion of Examination (CSCE) as proof. It is valid indefinitely
for operating authorization, but is valid only for 365 days for
upgrade credit.
Just because the FCC did not complain or look you up is not a
blessing. I try not to interfere with any communication much less a
DX Window (listening for hard to hear signals)
http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/regulations/news/part97/
. §97.101 General standards. (d) No amateur operator shall willfully
or maliciously interfere with or cause interference to any radio
communication or signal.
Let us not quibble, It is contrary to FCC rules to cause interference
with ANY radio comm or signal. Follow the BAND PLAN. Its just the
right thing to do
 And the FINES imposed not worth it.
http://www.fcc.gov/Document_Indexes/Enforcement/2001_index_EB_News_Rel
ease.html
*Pages 1--1 from Microsoft Word - 7545.doc* NEWS News Media
Information 202 / 418- 0500 TTY 202 / 418- 2555 Fax- On- Demand 202 /
418- 2830 Internet: http:// www. fcc. gov ftp. fcc. gov Federal
Communications Commission 445 12 th Street, S. W. Washington, D. C.
20554 This is an unofficial announcement of Commission action.
Release of the full text of a Commission order constitutes official
action. See MCI v. FCC. 515 F 2d 385 (D. C. Circ 1974). FOR IMMEDIATE
RELEASE NEWS MEDIA CONTACT: March 5, 2001 John Winston (202) 418-
7450 FCC COMMENCES HEARING TO REVOKE AMATEUR RADIO AND GMRS LICENSES
OF TAMPA, FLORIDA PIRATE RADIO OPERATOR LESLIE D. BREWER Washington,
D. C. Today, the Federal Communications Commission (Commission)
issued an order commencing a hearing to revoke the Amateur radio and
General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS) licenses held by Leslie Brewer of
Tampa, Florida. Mr. Brewer is the licensee of Amateur radio station
and General class operator license KC4HAZ and GMRS Station KAW1170.
Mr. Brewer has a history dating back to 1996 of operating an FM
broadcast station in the Tampa area without a license and of
marketing and selling unauthorized transmitting equipment. The
Commission previously has issued forfeitures against him totaling
$11, 000, and it has seized his pirate FM broadcasting equipment
because of his transgressions. Despite these actions, the evidence
indicates that Mr. Brewer continues to broadcast on the FM band
without a license, in flagrant disregard of the Communications Act of
1934, as amended, and the Commission's rules. In commencing the
license revocation hearing, the Commission stated, "We find that Mr.
Brewer's continuing course of conduct raises questions as to whether
he possesses the requisite character qualifications to remain a
Commission licensee. Mr. Brewer's history of FCC- related
transgressions and apparent contempt for the Commission's regulatory
authority are patently inconsistent with his responsibilities as a
licensee and belie any suggestion that he can be relied upon to
comply with the Commission's rules and policies in the future."
Action by the Commission, February 22, 2001, by ORDER TO SHOW CAUSE,
NOTICE OF ORDER OF SUSPENSION, NOTICE OF OPPORTUNITY FOR HEARING, AND
NOTICE OF APPARENT LIABILITY FOR A FORFEITURE (FCC 01- 74). Chairman
Powell, Commissioners Ness, Furchtgott- Roth, and Tristani. EB Docket
No. 01- 61 Enforcement Bureau Contacts: John Winston (202) 418- 7450
and Gary Schonman (202) 418- 1420. 1
http://www.fcc.gov/eb/AmaCmpl.html
http://ftp.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Compliance/News_Releases/1999/nrci9010.html
http://wireless.fcc.gov/amateur/aminfo.html
  N0UBI
Its our AIR WAVES lets protect their continued use !

This E-Mail was sent with Piace Webmail.
http://www.piace.com