[MV] Glow Plug Cycling in CUCV

From: Chris Stansbury (chris_stansbury@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Dec 14 2001 - 11:08:16 PST

From: "Julian Burke" <julianb@esper.com>
Subject: [MV] Glow Plug Cycling in CUCV
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 21:56:54 -0500

     When a CUCV starts, the glow plugs will cycle a few times after the
start. This is NOT intentioned for a "rough" idle. This is to keep the
vehicle from excessive smoking (emissions) while cold."""

Well, what ever it was "intentioned" for. If your diesel is cold, it ain't
going to run real smooth when it first starts. So, the cycling of the plugs
will even out the idle, reducing smoke (ie - unburned fuel). That's what it
has done in mine for the past six years. I never spoke with the GM project
engineers. I've been too busy actually driving and working on my CUCV.
Chris Stansbury
Memphis, TN
webmaster, http://www.steelsoldiers.com
1984 M1009 CUCV