[MV] NP208 vs NP205?

From: Chris Stansbury (chris_stansbury@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Dec 15 2001 - 12:50:23 PST

Hey Brian,
Contrary to popular belief, the NP208 is a very durable t-case. I rebuilt
mine when it had about 62k miles on it because it kept jumping out of gear.
I discovered that the shift forks have these little plastic pads on them and
then when they wear out, the aluminum starts wearing away and it jumps out
of gear. It was a pretty straight forward rebuild that I did in my garage
floor. I just bought a kit from National Drivetrain. Anyway, I've beat the
snot out of it on and off the road for the past 5 years with no problems
(except for the time when the front end broke in two, slamming the front
driveshaft into the t-case cracking a case half, the adapter, and bent the
frame. The crash was so violent that it probably would have broken a cast
iron case too.) So, for your needs, a NP208 would work fine. You will have
to change the tranny to t-case adapter because the NP205 and NP208 have
different bolt patterns. Depending on your tranny, you may have to get a
different output shaft too. Good luck.
Sincerely,
Chris Stansbury
Memphis, TN