Re: T84 transmission info

From: jim gilmore (jgilmore@ptd.net)
Date: Sat Dec 15 2001 - 18:50:12 PST

Mike wrote:
>......I am trying to get educated on this transmission. I'm not going to
>assemble it, but I am trying to get the necessary parts, and brother,
>that can really be confusing......
>I have a couple of questions:
>
>.....What is a small parts kit? Every time I ask a dealer I'm told it's all
>the assorted small snap rings etc that are needed for a rebuild. .............
>
>So, does anybody know what's in the small parts kit BY PART NUMBER.

      Well..........what's in the "kit" will be determined by the person
selling it. They should be able to give you a list of the items in it.

     Now, having rebuilt several T-84 transmissions (and transfer cases) in
the last few months, I'll try to give you an idea of what you SHOULD
replace and what you ought to replace.

    First thing is to find what problems the trans has. Does it shift hard,
jump out of gear, make funny noises etc. or are you just rebuilding it
along with a restoration?

    First thing to do is to get a manual for the trans. Read it over and
over until you think you know how the thing works.

     You will need a gasket and seal kit. Replace ALL the gaskets and seals.

    Open up the trans and look at all the gears. If they look good then
look at the countershaft and reverse gear shafts. If they have ANY wear...
replace them.

  You SHOULD replace ;

Countershaft gear bearings
    "" "" thrust washers
input shaft bearing (front)
input shaft rollers (middle)
output shaft bearing (rear)

You ought to replace;

synchronizer assembly complete
shift fork shaft detent springs
shift forks ..if worn
shift plate ..if worn (one on top of trans)
shift lever....if worn

   It's not that hard to rebuild the trans. Take your time and follow the
manual.

OR......you can send the trans to our shop (Combat Vehicles in Easton PA.)
and we can do the work for you.

Jim

   NOTE NEW ADDRESS----NOTE NEW ADDRESS---NOTE NEW ADDRESS------AS OF
JANUARY 4, 2001---------