Re: [MV] Track Shoes A follow-up and artillery for sale

From: Ryan M Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Mon Dec 17 2001 - 13:30:32 PST

At 9:03 PM +0000 12/17/01, Richard Notton wrote:
>Well known wheeled MVs with torsion bars are, but not limited to:
>Austin Champ, Humber 1 ton truck, Humber Pig, Alvis Saladin, Saracen and
>Stalwart.

Huh?

When I was up at Western Resources, Joe had the wheel station on a
Saladin torn down for a rebuild (owners had let the hub run dry!!!).
There were 4 very large vertical tubes that looked an awful lot like
shock absorbers to me. The wheel station itself looked like and
upscaled version of what is on the ferret (3 added

Here is a picture of the wheel station on a Saracen.
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/lsm/dhmg/images3/10578.jpg

Sure doesn't look like torsion bars to me (looks like a double
wishbone suspension with extra bits). I thought those usually
projected through the hull parallel to the wheel and anchored to the
other side. Thus, when that wheel station was moved by terrain
effects, the part on the wheel side moved with the wheel, and the
part on the other side didn't, the bits in the middle twisting to a
degree based on their distance from one to the other.

--
--
- Ryan Montieth Gill                         '01 Honda Insight -