Re: [MV] Track Shoes A follow-up and artillery for sale

From: Andreas Mehlhorn (a.mehlhorn@t-online.de)
Date: Tue Dec 18 2001 - 00:42:38 PST

Richard Notton schrieb:

> Subject: [MV] Track Shoes A follow-up and artillery for sale
>
> > First a basic description: A torsion bar is a high quality piece of steel
> > rod (round or hex, even square) that is held fixed at one end, and placed in
> > bushings. When a suspension or wrench attempts to twist the other non-fixed
> > end, the spring rate of the rod tends to force it back into the original
> > position. This replaces springs in the suspension system (French had a car
> > with these in it at one point)
> :-o
>
> French had _many_ cars with torsion bar suspension and so did we, the ubiquitous
> Morris Minor to name but one, and all highly successful.
>
> Well known wheeled MVs with torsion bars are, but not limited to:
> Austin Champ, Humber 1 ton truck, Humber Pig, Alvis Saladin, Saracen and
> Stalwart.
>
> Richard

Don't forget the VOLKSWAGEN Beetle, the world's most produced car. It
has torsion bars at the front and the rear axle. Also the VW Kübelwagen
type 82 and the VW Schwimmwagen type 166.

Todays VOLKSWAGEN Microbus has torsion bars at the front axle.

Best regards
Andreas

PS: Kettenkrad has torsion bars, too.