Re: [MV] Track Shoes A follow-up and artillery for sale

From: Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Date: Tue Dec 18 2001 - 11:35:24 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Andreas Mehlhorn" <a.mehlhorn@t-online.de>
Sent: Tuesday, December 18, 2001 8:42 AM
Subject: Re: [MV] Track Shoes A follow-up and artillery for sale

> Richard Notton schrieb:
>
> > Subject: [MV] Track Shoes A follow-up and artillery for sale
> >
> > > First a basic description: A torsion bar is a high quality piece of steel
> > > rod (round or hex, even square) that is held fixed at one end, and placed
in
> > > bushings. When a suspension or wrench attempts to twist the other
non-fixed
> > > end, the spring rate of the rod tends to force it back into the original
> > > position. This replaces springs in the suspension system (French had a
car
> > > with these in it at one point)
> > :-o
> >
> > French had _many_ cars with torsion bar suspension and so did we, the
ubiquitous
> > Morris Minor to name but one, and all highly successful.
> >
> > Well known wheeled MVs with torsion bars are, but not limited to:
> > Austin Champ, Humber 1 ton truck, Humber Pig, Alvis Saladin, Saracen and
> > Stalwart.
> >
> > Richard
>
> Don't forget the VOLKSWAGEN Beetle, the world's most produced car. It
> has torsion bars at the front and the rear axle. Also the VW Kbelwagen
> type 82 and the VW Schwimmwagen type 166.

Indeed so as Ron the Frog pointed out a day ago together with the Kriegkaefer.

> Todays VOLKSWAGEN Microbus has torsion bars at the front axle.

And we understand most large American Chryslers around 1981 were torsion bar
suspended also.

> Best regards
> Andreas
>
> PS: Kettenkrad has torsion bars, too.

Indeed they do, and a horde of those little rectangular feet like track pads
plus a good shuffling of overlapping road wheels affording an excellent ride but
a liability at dawn on the Ostfront in the winter.

Richard
Southampton - England