RE: [MV] M-35 - Conversion to air-shift front axle

From: Rikk Rogers (rkltd@swbell.net)
Date: Thu Dec 20 2001 - 11:27:34 PST

That's interesting, however.....
I actually use mine, in Hwy driving I have never had a problem and don't
expect to.
But in driving to lunch, once in a while it pops, and in REAL use it hops.
In the sand 2 weeks ago the sprag tried to engage on every round and the
truck felt like it was jumping 6" on every turn of the wheel.
I found, in playing with it, to would move, but only if I kept the RPM at
near stall.
The front end would not engage and pull, in the places I got stuck the winch
pulled me out.
In moving around, every time the sprag tried to engage it created enough
loss of power (to the ground) in going into hop mode that it would stick if
it was above "Near Stall" in RPM.

I have followed the manual on trying to adjust it and according to my
understanding (poor at the best of times) it is adjusted correctly.
I look forward to David's info in Army Motors, I have hope that it will make
it a bit clearer on just exactly how to get the adjustment right.

But, according to info I have from this list, the change over (to air) is as
simple as changing out the assembly on the front of the Xfer and putting in
the air controls.
True or not?

TIA

Rikk Rogers - RK Lion LTD.