M35A2 sticky sprag. Solutions?

From: JJ&A (w7ls@blarg.net)
Date: Sat Dec 22 2001 - 23:33:45 PST

Our M35A2 has no power to the front end in forward direction, only. In
reverse, it is fine. We did the test where you jack up one wheel and
engage reverse and granny, rotating one wheel by hand to see if it
catches in one direction. It fails the forward test. We watched the rod
move in and out of the transfer case when shifting between reverse and
granny. It behaves just like it should. No motion when shifting from
reverse to neutral.
    Apparently, we have one of two problems: Either the forward sprag is
stuck in it's disengaged condition from lack of use over the years, or
major damage has occurred in the transfer case. I prefer the former to
the latter. :-) If gears had been ground off, I'd expect to hear some
really unhealthy noises in the transfer case. It is quiet.
    Assuming we have a sprag that has congealed oil or something gumming
it up, what can I do to set it free? I have heard that draining the oil
and replacing it with diesel might loosen it up. Are there any additives
that have some sort of solvents in them to speed that process up?
    I'd like to hear from anyone who has personal knowledge of this type
of problem and it's solution. Thanks. Jim