Re: [MV] Smoke Dischargers?

From: Jim Newton (jnewton@laurel.com)
Date: Tue Dec 25 2001 - 14:09:03 PST

Hi Ryan...

>What's been the general experience with smoke dischargers and the ATF
>on MVs? We're going over it right now on the ferret list.

Do you mean the pyrotechnic type or the "inject diesel into the
exhaust manifold" type?

I will soon have my CUCV equipped with the later type system which
mists raw diesel into the exhaust just after the turbo and it puts out
HUGE volumes of thick white smoke. Obviously I will only deploy it in
off-road combat simulations...not on the freeway! (It would be so
tempting, though!)

I believe the pyrotechnic type must be perfectly legal for off-road
use...model rocketeers make their own rocket motor grains (which put
out tons of smoke) from many recipes including potassium nitrate and
sugar (50% ground-up stump remover and 50% powdered sugar works great
but burns very hot and splatters). I have a recipe for a cool (as in
temperature) military type white smoke that works really well and you
can make it yourself very easily, cheaply and most importantly SAFELY:

  55% Ammonium Chloride
  35% Potassium Chlorate
  15% Sucrose or Lactose

All percentages are by weight. Mix together the three powders and pack
tightly into a cardboard or PVC tube that fits into the ferret's smoke
cartridge holders, put in an electric match ignitor and seal it with
paraffin (just be sure not to tightly enclose the powder or it might
explode when you light it off). Then wire the ignitor leads up to
your control system and you're ready to go! All ingredients are
available from www.Skylighter.com.

As long as you don't use smoke to obscure your MV as you commit
illegal activities, you're fine. ;)

--

Jim "Ike" Newton

o 1984 M1007 CUCV Military Suburban 6.2 Liter Turbo-Diesel Engine 5/4 Ton Cargo Capacity, 4WD

o 1971 M35A2 Military Troop/Cargo Truck "Deuce and a Half" 478 Cubic Inch Turbo-Diesel Multi-Fuel Engine Air Shift Front Axle 2 1/2 Ton Cargo Capacity, 6WD

See them at: http://www.CUCV.net