body work

From: Cougarjack@aol.com
Date: Sat Jan 05 2002 - 17:31:05 PST

Esteemed listers:

I know there are those among us who excel at body work.
(panel beating to you Redcoats). I get by ok with flat areas and floors, but I have a job coming up that demands more than my meager skills are up to.
I have two M37 dodges that will require repair of the front cowling, (bulkhead) just outboard of the hood hinges. (bonnet fixings) This is the area right at the turn of the cowl from flat and level to curved downward. The area also involves the fastening points for the winshield brakets. Mine are peppered with small holes, and it appears that the underside of these curves was a good place for road salt and garbage to collect. One truck revealed an earlier attempt at repair. As I was removing the hood hinges, I found that the cowl level was built up at least 1/4" on each side with Bondo. The hinge itself was set on the resulting repair. This has lost adhesion, and rust has gone through in a few places. I'll need to re-establish the proper level and location for the hinges, as well as fill in the dozens of small rust holes in the cowl.
Any suggestions/helpful hints/death threats/good jokes/value meal upgrades would be appreciated. If you're doing this or something very similar, I'd be happy to defray your costs to get me digital photos of your progress. I'm open to any good ideas for approaching this task.
Regards and thanks,
Jack