Re: [MV] DANGEROUS MULES ??????

From: Keith Byrd (byrdhouse@netease.net)
Date: Wed Jan 09 2002 - 11:49:00 PST

Having read all this talk about dangerous mules, I'd say they are not
anymore dangerous that other things. All total over the years I've had or
had in my control ( at one time or another as many as 15 - 20), I've got
more mule hours than I have on my riding lawnmower and lazyboy. I've
operated mules through places you would have difficulty walking (thickets,
swamps, etc.). Accidents can and will happen, FREAK ACCIDENTS!! When I
rolled mine over I was rolling it to start it , ran over a small stump
hidden in some weeds. I saw the stump just as the right front wheel hit it.
I've drove over things larger and in rougher places that what threw me. At
the time I believe I had flooded the engine. After laying on it's side for
several hrs. it started with just a few pulls.
I could go on and on about what they will do and the places they will go.
Those of you that have them know what they will do. They are no more
dangerous than anything else, unless misused. I've been hurt more times (but
not worse) working on mine, than riding it. The most dangerous equipment I
own is a boat/outboard motor (3 of them).
If anyone is afraid of their mule, I'll take it off your hands.

Everyone that responded is exactly right in what you have said. However, I
believe Steve (islander) summed up the safety aspects best of all. The TM
outlines the operating precautions, but sometimes things just happen (You've
all seen the bumper stickers). I realize that rolling to start is not as
safe as other methods, but how many times have we all done it? I don't
anymore (electric start/lots of batteries).

Every cowboy knows (and a few hillbillies): If it throws you, GET BACK ON!
Thanks,
Keith
(registered Hillbilly)