Re: [MV] M35 in Plano, TX

From: Jim Newton (jnewton@laurel.com)
Date: Thu Jan 10 2002 - 22:56:14 PST

Hi Randy (and List)...

>A few months back there were a couple of messages regarding someone who
>owned a Duece in Plano TX and where Plano Tx was located.
>
>I'm going to visit relatives in Plano from the 26th to the 31st and
>thought maybe I could check out that M35 while I'm there.

I'd like to publicly thank you, Randy, for helping me to try to
retrieve the title certificate from the guy I bought my deuce from.
While you were in Plano, you tried every contact number I had for the
seller, and you confirmed that indeed the seller has vanished from the
face of the earth!

As promised, I will reward you for your effort in this mission with an
NOS military-issue Unimog tire change tool box complete with all the
original tools, patches, materials, etc. in perfect condition, all in
it's original olive drab wooden box. I will bring it to the Big Bear
event and give it to you there.

This list is great!

BTW, I would also like to announce (boast) that the California DMV
unexpectedly sent me a belated Christmas present today which I did not
even know I was going to get...the brand new California title for my
deuce! And the icing on the cake? Historic Vehicle designation and
plates! Woo-hoo! HV930L is my new license plate. What's the "L"
mean? Does it mean the 930th vehicle in the "L" series...or 1000 x 12
series up through "L" plus the original non-lettered series so mine is
the 12,930th historic vehicle designated in California?

I never expected that I would be able to get title without the Texas
paperwork! When I was at DMV in November, they said that I would
absolutely have to get the Texas title certificate back from the
seller. When I told them that he wouldn't respond to my numerous
requests by email, certified mail, fax and phone, they said I would
have to request a duplicate title from Texas. I asked them if Texas
would send the duplicate title to me, and they said "No,
idiot...they'll send it to the owner." I explained that that would
not resolve the problem, and they said to write down my description of
the whole situation and they would submit it to the folks at the state
capitol (Gray Davis and his rolling blackout flunkies) but the DMV
counter person and supervisor said not to expect any solution.
Surprise surprise, they issued me title from my story without any
title, bill of sale, or other documentation to prove the vehicle was
really mine. Did I luck out, or WHAT?

Thanks again Randy and list!

--

Jim "Ike" Newton

o 1984 M1007 CUCV Military Suburban 6.2 Liter Turbo-Diesel Engine 5/4 Ton Cargo Capacity, 4WD

o 1971 M35A2 Military Troop/Cargo Truck "Deuce and a Half" 478 Cubic Inch Turbo-Diesel Multi-Fuel Engine Air Shift Front Axle 2 1/2 Ton Cargo Capacity, 6WD

See them at: http://www.CUCV.net