Breakthrough?

From: Carol Kenyon (Da-Kenyons@webtv.net)
Date: Fri Jan 11 2002 - 07:34:45 PST

I thought I'd give Mr. Gilmore a rest, he's been working two jobs--his
job and my old panel truck!
  So I'm addressing the entire list again. A "Military Archivist" in
Southern California has been helping me with my quest and emailed about
his progress.
  He thinks that the Dodge WC60 "emergency repair vehicle" is Dodge's
answer to my truck.
He says Ford started to make their version of
this (my truck) and gave it up to concentrate on
things like jeeps.
  The WC-60 I'm talking about is on page 141 of THE DODGE STORY.
  What popped my eyes out is what Contract numbers this Archivist
quoted. I just recently discovered my truck's "contract" W number--
W-3 (for1.5 ton) 374(2).
  So when I saw "Govt.Contract W-374-ORD-2864, parts list D-10583, tech
manual SNL 6502" I was floored!
  Can't be coincidence, can it?
  Thanks to Mr. Vaughn for explaining W number prefixes to me!
  The Dodge is 3/4 ton, 4wd and military looking. My truck is 1.5 ton,
2wd, and more
civvy-looking.
  Also, the Dodge is a cab & chassis arrangement with "utility" bed, my
truck is a panel truck-"utility" part inside panel.
  There is also a Quartermaster contract W number series, but that
doesn't immediately
ring any bells.
  This is the closest thing to a real lead in years!
Thanks, Don