Rice Health Update (Long)

From: Jim Rice (ltc_rice@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Jan 11 2002 - 08:35:27 PST

on my recovery.

Spent the morning at Brook Army Medical Center (BAMC) today. Physical
therapy continues to improve overall mobility/flexibility, however I am
still walking on crutches.

Had new round of x-rays this AM. Doctor said he is seeing signs of
improvement in my left ankle. The (to-date unhealed) fragment appears to be
revascularizing or calcifying enough to support weight soon. He has cleared
me for riding bike and swimming. Finally, I can begin doing something for
an aerobic workout. I sure need it. After having dropped 30+ pounds in the
hospitals, I am now regaining it. Unfortunately, prior weight was alot of
muscle mass and current weight tends to be FLAB. Accident weight of 194
pounds dropped to approximately 160. I am now up to about 185.

I go back for next check up in six weeks. At that time, doctor said he
thought he would allow me to begin progressively putting weight on my left
foot. That is definitely good news. Weight bearing will be incremental to
insure the bone is indeed strong enough to support. I won't likely throw
the crutches away anytime soon, I will at least begin to start walking with
my left foot on the ground again......something I have not done since June
3rd.

While I am still far from being recovered, I continue to improve and am
looking forward to again walking at least somewhat normally. Left ankle is
still really stiff and will likely require another operation in a few months
to remove some scarring to allow it to flex more normally. Doctor does not
wish to do operation yet due to likelihood or scarring returning while still
in the healing process.

Needless to say, I am encouraged by this latest report and looking forward
to continued recovery. Most importantly, with the improved left foot, I
should be able to drive my GPW again soon!!! I've not driven any MV in over
8 months now. I have suffered severe withdrawal. I even let TJ Smith drive
it some (of course, just to get it on the trailer to and from a show!) so I
could see it move.

Thanks to all for well wishes, thoughts, prayers and overall great support
during my recovery.

Sincerely,

Jim