[MV] Land Rover advice needed -

From: King (landy@pacificcoast.net)
Date: Thu Jan 20 2000 - 07:25:07 PST

Subject: [MV] Land Rover advice needed -
>Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 12:42:10 -0500
>
>I've been looking at Ex-MoD LRs, primarily 109" Series 3's, and I have
>noticed several of the ads list something like "usual indercarriage
>rot".
>
>My question is, what is the "usual rot", what should I look for and
>how hard is it to repair?
>
>I had understood all the MoD Rovers had undercarriage coatings which
>considerably reduced frame rust. Is this in fact the case? Does it
>work?
>
>Also, is it hard to get parts for 24v electrical systems in the
>states? I have no problem working on 24v as long as the parts are
>available.=20
>
>Any other things a potential buyer should look for would be welcomed.=20

All early and late series threes were made of poor metal in the frames(to
many recycled Hondas)The tend to corrode faster than normal.The under
coating wasn't so much a rust protection rather a sound deadner.Gravel from
the tires hitting the bare metal and especially the aluminum would ring
nicely for some distance to be heard.
Andre