Re: [MV] M35A2 Question

From: DDoyle9570@aol.com
Date: Mon Jan 14 2002 - 16:45:54 PST

In a message dated 1/14/02 5:34:09 PM Central Daylight Time,
n1vbn@bit-net.com writes:

<< There is no possibility of misting the fuel on return to the tank as every
 return
 line to the fuel tank dumps it into the top of the tank without an internal
 pipe.
 The internal pipe is needed only on the supply side ( suction ). I've driven
 over the road in >>

The phenomena I described has nothing to do with the routing or arrangement
of the discharge tube. (Nor am I saying for a fact that it is the cause of
the problem) It is a fact that when an oil is pumped it is heated. Part of
the pumping energy is transformed into heat. This is a relatively common
problem on hydraulic equipment, and one of the factors in engineering the
size of hydraulic reservoirs. The fluid in the reservoir acts as a coolant
for the returned fluid. If the level of oil in the reservoir is low, there
is less cooling capacity than if it were full.
In this case, the pumped fluid is fuel. If the tank level was low, it would
have less of a dissipating effect than if it were full. Add to this the heat
generated by the in tank fuel pump (which is also cooled by the fuel), and it
may be possible that the temperature of the fuel approaches Diesel fuel's
boiling point of 370C, which could cause the "misting." I think this is a
stretch, but I do think that fuel heating (regardless of cause/source) is the
reason for the misting and the high tank temperature.
DD