Re: [MV] How Does One Mount License Plates on a Deuce?

From: Mark J. Blair (mblair1@home.net)
Date: Mon Jan 14 2002 - 19:52:02 PST

"Jim Newton" <jnewton@laurel.com> wrote:
> What's the best way to mount license plates on a deuce without making
> it look funky?

On one of my 2.5-ton shop vans, I attached a lighted license plate
bracket to a metal bar which I attached to the rear of the left rear
mud-flap using the two existing bolts where the bottoms of those two
reinforcing straps are mounted. I didn't need to drill any new holes
in the truck. Since the truck is painted desert tan, the white license
plate doesn't look so bad there.

My second 2.5-ton shop van is painted 3-color green camo, and the
bright white license plate would have looked pretty bad if I mounted
it in the same location. Instead, I drilled a pair of holes near the
top of the metal upper portion of the left rear mud flap, and stuck
the license plate up in front of those two reinforcing straps. It's
visible from the rear, but it's not quite so obvious since it's sort
of tucked up under the bed.

In both cases, I built a "Y" adapter and tapped into the tail-light
circuit without cutting any wires.

On both trucks, I mounted the front plate to the right side of the
front grill with cable ties. There's a rectangular area under the
headlight that's almost exactly the right size. I may build more
permanent brackets under the bumper sometime, but this quick-and-dirty
hack works for now. I recommend the black cable ties, because I think
they're more UV-resistant than the common white ones.

Signal-stat makes a nice heavy-duty license plate light, with and
without a plate bracket. With the plate bracket, the part number is
9365W. I used the same light (without the bracket) on my HMMWV:

    http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/greentruck/truck2/mods.html#license

The light comes with a 12V GE168 bulb. An appropriate 24V replacement
is type GE464. Both bulbs are available from Bulb Direct at:

    http://www.bulbdirect.com

A good source for the light and bracket that I mentioned is Wire
Connections at:

     http://www.wireconnections.com

If you haven't dealt with them before, I recommend that you order the
Signal-Stat catalog (lots of lighting products), and the Pollak
catalog (lot of key switches and battery master disconnect switches).

I don't have pictures of either 2.5-ton installation at this time, and
it's dark outside... :-)

--
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://www.keyserver.net/
Web page: http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/