Re: [MV] Pulling Trailers - Weight/Brakes Question

From: David M Ursin (acmack@juno.com)
Date: Tue Jan 15 2002 - 13:59:48 PST

I had a similar hairy tandem trailer bumper pull experience with my
International Travelall only in my case I was too tongue heavy. I was
pulling a T16 on a 6ton tandem tag when I got a flat and when I applied
the brakes I was sent into a wag that I couldn't power out of. It sent me
across three lanes in a slow snake like fashion. Eventually and luckily I
came to a dusty skidding stop in a soft sandy shoulder in the center
isle. I gave thanks to the towing god and now tow everything with a
dually one ton and 35ft goose neck. Braking is far far safer and more
controlled. By the way although I landed safely with my T16 and
travel-all intact, the State Police descended upon me and impounded my
trailer and T16 accusing me of attempting to haul a "TANK" with an SUV.
$120 fine, later dismissed and $360 towing fee ( a four axel Pete hauled
away my "tank") which I later took home with the SAME SUV.