Re: [MV]

From: Jim Newton (jnewton@laurel.com)
Date: Wed Jan 16 2002 - 17:42:17 PST

Hi Bryan (and List)...

>is there a difference in civilian to military flexplate(flywheel). my
>85M1009 6.2 is getting ready to get another new flywheel. does anyone know
>a part number from Napa, or the number of teeth? i have never changed
>starter and flywheel so many times on one vehicle in my life.

Is it possible to rewire a CUCV to use a civilian 12 volt starter to
avoid the over spinning problem? My M1007 has a 12 volt starter and
it starts at the touch of the key once it is warmed up, and even when
it is cold it never needs more than 1 second of starter motor. I
mention this because I believe that it is necessary to spin the
starter on a 6.2 diesel any faster than a 12 volt starter can.

Since the two CUCV batteries are wired in series to achieve 24 volts,
it seems to me that by wiring a starter relay up to the 24 volt
ignition switch and using the relay to provide 12 volts to a civilian
starter would solve this problem of over-reving the starter and
grinding off teeth from the flywheel/ring gear.

Also, I've gotten one friend into a nice M1009 and may have done the
same with another friend soon, so I want to have a solution ready in
case they have this problem (hi Dave and Steve).

Thanks.

--

Jim "Ike" Newton

o 1984 M1007 CUCV Military Suburban 6.2 Liter Turbo-Diesel Engine 5/4 Ton Cargo Capacity, 4WD

o 1971 M35A2 Military Troop/Cargo Truck "Deuce and a Half" 478 Cubic Inch Turbo-Diesel Multi-Fuel Engine Air Shift Front Axle 2 1/2 Ton Cargo Capacity, 6WD

See them at: http://www.CUCV.net