CUCV 12V convertion

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Wed Jan 16 2002 - 20:31:42 PST

Trying to help a fellow club member. I know little of anything about CUCV's
but I recall some interesting glow plug discussion a few months ago which I
looked up but was not exactly what I needed. He has an M1028 which was
converted to 12V only and the space formerly occupied by the second
alternator now has an A/C compressor in its place.

He's having starting problems and says the glow plugs are on for like 3
minutes and even so the engine will not start. He says the plugs are 11G
which according to an old post are 12V civy plugs. These are connected to a
resistor such that they only run at 6V. Sounds to me like someone already
did some rework in the glow plug system, but did they do it right or did
they do everything they should have? Any thoughts????

thanks,

je