Harley Davidson XA

From: cdavis (cdavis@webworldinc.com)
Date: Thu Jan 17 2002 - 08:34:14 PST

I have run into a little problem, and I hope the collective wisdom of the
list can help me out.

I've found a complete, apparently original paint, running, Harley Davidson
XA motorcycle.

This is the "boxer", horizontally apposed engine, shaft drive bike that
Harley made 1000 of for evaluation by the army during WWII.

It is owned by a WWII veteran. He knows what he has, and I believe his
price is fair, but I have to confess I am out of my depth.

I have always wanted a WWII Harley, but $ has put them in a different range
of collecting than I've been in... so my knowledge is limited.

I'd like to get educated enough to make a good decision here. Any Harley
experts out there who can guide me in this?

Assuming it is complete, running, (original paint needs to be confirmed,
but it looks it)... What's the $ range for one of these. They are more
rare than the WLA, and I've seen WLA with asking prices from $8,000 to over
$20,000. Does the relative rarity of the XA make it worth significantly
more, or is a WWII Harley a WWII Harley.

I plan to take digital photos of the bike tomorrow or Saturday... so I can
send photos of specific items if it would help anyone out there value
it. He has both solid disc and open spoke wheels for it... solids are on
it now.

Thanks in advance,

Chris Davis
MVPA# 20000