Re: [MV] M3A1 Scout Car For Sale

From: Colin Macgregor Stevens (cmstevens@telus.net)
Date: Mon Jan 21 2002 - 20:25:45 PST

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=600605639&
r=0&t=0

I have seen this vehicle and ridden in it. Yes, it is very nice. I cannot
comment on its authenticity though as I did not examine it closely and am
not too knowledgeable about the US wheeled armour. I do not recall anything
that seemed wrong (note my comment below on markings though). It used to
belong to Brian Wood of Vancouver, BC and then to a chap in Victoria BC who
owns a Harley-Davidson business.

In the big photo on the e-bay ad, I am the sniper kneeling on the far right.
Harry Moon is on the far left. Photo taken at the annual military encampment
at Fort Rodd Hill National Historic Park in May 1999. I have a few more
photos of it which are on our British Columbia club's website Western
Command Military Vehicle Historical Society http://www.westerncommand.com
specifically on our "Club Diary" page. Scroll down to May 1999.

Markings on it are so-so - modelled after a model kit. Done up as British
War Department number T2126146 (for some reason, they left a gap between the
T 2126 and the 146, which is not normal. Doubled up markings (unit and
formation) is not normal, and maple leaf appears to be 1967 11 pointed
design, not WWII many pointed version. Markings are fairly easily changed
however.

WARNING: US buyers should check to see if they would be able to legally
bring it into the USA. Problems exist bringing US made armour back into the
USA. Ditto for the Browning MG which is probably deactivated to Canadian,
not US standards. Probably a deactivated one (legal in Canada with no
paperwork or permits needed BUT has original receiver with is frowned upon
in many parts of the USA where missing sideplate of missing received are
often the norm).

A nice vehicle.

Colin Macgregor Stevens
cmstevens@telus.net
or (as second choice)
seaforth72@hotmail.com

LOST MESSAGES: Due to technical problems, many messages have been lost by
colin@pacdat.net address. My apologies for any inconveniences this may have
caused. Several hundred messages were lost at various times in the Fall of
2001.
MVPA #954 (since 1977)
Editor: "Maple Leaf Up!" newsletter & Webmaster
of Western Command Military Vehicle Historical Society
(Established 1977) http://www.westerncommand.com
Pitt Meadows (East of Vancouver but not beyond Hope)
British Columbia, CANADA
Owner of:
1944 Willys MB jeep (ex-Norway)
http://bcoy1cpb.pacdat.net/colin_stevens'_1944_willys_mb_photos.htm