GL - What to do now?

From: JaxInCalifornia@aol.com
Date: Thu Jan 24 2002 - 10:43:56 PST

Bottom line: I say give GL till Feb. 28th to pull it together to justify their existence, if they can't, then lets use the weight of our world wide reach to help them move on.

To my understanding GL is charging a 10% buyers premium and they are taking 20% from the sales price. So the US government probably will not realize anymore revenues from the GL surplus sales than with a [properly] run DRMO sale. (Key word proper) If we can't get more taxpayer dollars into the coffers and we can't get good service, the reason for GL being in charge escapes me.

Recently we've seen GL imposed $1000 reserve prices on many vehicles and the "generalized" condition ratings have ceased. Note; that was supposed to be replaced with more pictures, just hasn't happened yet. Another strike against GL.

I believe [IF] DRMO had posted adequate pictures of vehicles four weeks prior to the sale that would helped tremendously, and [IF] they did on-line bidding like GSA or Ebay, that would have really helped their revenues. Although I know some of you like gambling (sealed bids) because it's more fun.

Likely we all would have fare better if the above system was in place, but GL could still be alright given some improving done here and there.

Jack Lee
Sunny (almost rust free) California