Re: [MV] Government Liquidation (longish)

From: Steve Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Fri Jan 25 2002 - 10:22:04 PST

Gene,

>This sort of reasoning is absurd..and the thought would come only from a
>devious person. Any one in this group would be more than willing to help
>each other out as best they could..and would go far out of their way to
>"honestly" describe a vehicle or lot of MV parts. It would be a matter of
>honour...and as a retired Sergeant Major..I can say that if I caught someone
>falsifying a description...that person would be in a very bad situation.
>But--I don't believe it would happen.

While I agree that honest people being put into these positions would
probably not screw over their fellow MVers, there are a couple of
negatives about the way human beings were constructed. One is that if
something is spotted that they personally want, the temptation to fudge
something in their favor increases. Given time the chance of
"corruption" increases. Unless there is a system of accountability in
place, which has dire consequences for violating, the chance of
"corruption" increases. Worst, unless there is some sort of screening
board which "certifies" the integrity of the person doing the fact
checking, how can we have any faith in the system to begin with? I mean,
who is to say that Joe Blow from Arkansa *is* an honerable person to
start with? I believe in the honor system quite strongly, but it doesn't
work when the person wasn't honerable to start with. Just look at some
of the fine "upstanding citizens" who were elected to run our country and
turned out to be crooks.

Here is a MV example... a guy bought an MV from DRMO a while back for $x.
 2 months later, without doing more than moving it down the road a few
miles (from what I could tell), he advertised it for sale (as is, no
shipping) at the "bargin" price of four times what he paid. He is also a
member of this list. I don't mean to say this guy is a bad apple (I
don't know him), or that he would purposefully screw over the rest of the
world to make a buck, but I wouldn't want to take the risk.

Or closer to home... how about Mr. Rubber Check that you have slammed on
this list? He is a MV guy who is also on this list. Or the poor Aussie
you lent a helping hand to (he still praises you for that too <g>) who
found that the Weasel tracks he bought from some MV guy turned out to not
exist? I doubt you would want one of these guys calling the shots for bids.

Steve