Re: [MV] Stuart v's Stewart

From: Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sat Jan 26 2002 - 09:40:14 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gordon.W.I. McMillan" <gwim2@student.open.ac.uk>
Sent: Saturday, January 26, 2002 3:48 PM
Subject: Re: [MV] Stuart v's Stewart

> >I can never quite figure how people swap the spelling to "Stewart".
> >Someone once told me that Stuart and Stewart are the Irish and Scotish
> >spellings or is that the other way around, so perhaps they are
> >subconsiously following ethnic lines?
> >
> >Gordon, do you know?
> >

> Never bothered to find out Doug, I just call them "damn great troublesome
> things with too many bits" myself..... 8-)

Certainly the Stuart Kings were Scottish, James I being King of the Scots and
England; the other name for this light tank being Honey of course and was coined
by British crews since it has a specific US connection being a common familiar
term there and that the tank was found to be endearing in its reliability albeit
rather outclassed in armour and firepower.

In the case of "troublesome thing" that is the Chinese translation for (guided)
missile or similar device, there being no specific word for these things.

Richard
Southampton - England