Re: [MV] Stuart v's Stewart

From: Steve Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Sun Jan 27 2002 - 13:12:53 PST

Hi Jim,

>Just had three days driving a Mk1 Universal carrier in steep terrain, with
>dirt roads covered with sheet ice, (slush int he afternoon) and usually
>loaded with 5 other stout lads in WWII combat kit, and a pile of tools,
Compo
>boxes, and petrol cans.

I don't think I would have liked being in the back in the event of a roll
over. UCs are a tad bit on the heavy side!

>Let's just say it was a hell of a learning experiance!
>Tracks and ice DON"T GO TOGETHER!!

They most certainly do not. I have some footage of a British Firefly
skidding sideways down a VERY slightly hilly road with both tracks going
full tilt. The tank commander was visible and not at all happy. It came
to rest against a building or ditch (can't remember which).

>If there are any other carrier drivers out there, would be happy to play
>sponge and soak up any tech or driving tips you have to share!

I suggest getting TM 21-306 "Manual for the Full-Track Vehicle Driver"
August 1946 (Portrayal makes reprints). It is basically targeted towards
tank drivers but I have found the information in it invaluable for my
Weasel and Bombadier driving. Good tips in there about getting unstuck
too, which helped me out last week when I bellied my Bombadier on a tree
trunk.

Steve